Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Challenge Grant

I sincerely apologize for my absence the past few months. With school back in session and added weekly therapies for Christopher, Blogging time has been falling off my top ten for the day to accomplish.

Time. Such a powerful gift. How we each choose to spend our time can change our lives and the lives of others in ways we cannot fully imagine. Wisdom is also a tremendous gift, although often I feel lacking in such a grace, I thirst for her presence in my daily life. As a parent of an exceptional child who does not communicate verbally and sometimes, not at all, I need every ounce of wisdom I can get, just to survive the day. When I ask my son a question and he turns his head away and stares off into the dead space, I wonder what or if he is thinking about anything. Tell me, tell me too, my heart screams out, but there is a deafening silence. It makes me wonder if his little spirit was broken so many times in the poor conditions that he remained in for the first 7 1/2 years of his life, that he just determined that no one was listening to him anyways, so why bother asking or telling. I imagine many of the orphans living in poor conditions and without the constant love and sense of belonging have decided that it doesn't matter if they have a need, it won't be met anyway.

Fortunately, Christopher is learning each day, that things have changed in his life and his needs do count and will be met to the best of our abilities. Thankfully, those blank stares are becoming less frequent and he is making purposeful eye contact more often. It is truly food for my soul.

Yesterday, I learned of a Challenge Grant that is running out of time to be matched. This grant can provide for some significant needs for the non-ambulatory children who spend their days and nights lying in a toddler bed. The Challenge Grant will purchase desperatly needed therapy equipment that can facilitate a child's movement out of a no win situation and into an opportunity for physical and mental wellness. The transformation we saw in just a few weeks when our son was home with us and no longer flat on his back and becoming atrophied in every way, was astonishing. These children need to be moving and growing while they wait for their forever families to find them. Think about it for more than a moment and then pass this on to someone who may be able to contribute to this project today. Time is running out for this MATCH opportunity. The deadline is October 31, 2009. Go here now to help:http://www.iorphan.org/projects/torez_challenge.asp



Evidence. Christopher went from lying down all day to "freedom and mobility". Take the Challenge Today! Change a life forever! "Expand your heart and watch a miracle grow" http://www.iorphan.org/projects/torez_challenge.asp
If everyone reading this could commit to sending $5.00 to the Challenge it will be met in a miracle minute.



















No comments:

Post a Comment